I really do wear my hand knits and the wearing of them is where the rubber hits the road. Believe it or not, my goal is to NOT notice them when I am wearing them (aside from responding to their compliments, of course). If they fit and “wear” comfortably, then, in my opinion, they are a successful garment and will likely be pulled for regular wear. If I notice the garment or if I notice I am “playing” with its fit, for example I feel some sort of pulling, or mis-aligning, curling, or the like, I likely will remember that and not pull them, again. So, in my mind I have to revisit it or it gets a lot of shelf time. Examples of such fix-its are from simple to a bit more complicated but, in all cases, puts the piece right back into the line up for another happy, carefree wearing. And, after all, the purpose to knit these spectacular fashion statements is to WEAR THEM!
Often such a fix is simply a snap sewn here or there. These snaps keep the neckline round and, to me was the designer’s intention, not to mention looks most flattering when wearing.
This has become a go-to garment for just about any weather condition but I was noticing I was fussing with the fabric under the zipper. So, here you see a snap to keep that fabric from curling and now, it is flat and notice-free by me.
This British Flag jacket (below) needed a snap to keep from falling off my shoulders. I didn’t want my fix to alter any part of the shaping and design of this fabulous and often worn piece. Looks like I had tried a hook and eye, first. And, now I remember the hook and eye would not stay closed.
Here is an option. Rather than button holes, use snaps!
Today, I am in the process of removing buttons off a project and will sew in a snap for its closure. The buttons were too large and clanking causing distraction and fumbling. No picture, yet.
ON SEAM BINDING AND TWILL TAPE
Seam binding is a knitters’ must. Are your projects stretching and pulling around the neck? Take five minutes, sewer’s seam tape, hand sew it in place, and your sweater is back into the cycle of wearing. I notice pulling existing mostly on oversized projects where there is a lot of fabric and heft. My favorite fashion statement is with these large oversized pieces with skinny pants underneath so I am glad I know of this fast and easy fix-it strategy.
This little bit of seam binding is reinforcing a spot where I predicted there would be a lot of wear and tear due to its being pulled on and off.
This is the same piece as above with the snap replacement rather than buttonholes but here you can see the twill tape.
I love this braided little sweater however the bulky cowl was just too much for me. So, I simply folded it in half and sewed it in place.
I would call the below project a serious redesigning of a pattern and a serious effort to “make this work” as no matter WHAT I tried, I could not get this jumper to stay up as a halter. I remember thinking the model in the magazine must have glued hers to her body. I certainly did not want to waste my long time effort in knitting this to then scrap it, so the one halter strap (in the pattern) became two shoulder straps. Not only did I need to redesign, but you can see some serious appliqué of seam binding and twill tape to keep this in its shape. (Sorry about the photographs, I have since learned to not use a flash.)
ON PADDING STITCHES
This fix-it was a little more extensive than most. As I was wearing my fair isle jacket (as seen in the cover photo of this blog) I was becoming increasingly unhappy with the collar. Not noticeable to the general public, but really annoying to me was the fact that the lining of the collar was not lying flat against the top fair isle part. It felt bulky and puckery, just wrong. So, off came the collar. I had forgotten that it was attached by picking up stitches around the neckline, so with the removal of it, I had live stitches. OK… so, after the stitches were picked up and bound off, I noticed the lining was not aligned to the fair isle part. OK, block. After the blocking, I felt the collar was a bit flimsy and I wanted it to have enough body to stand up or mold when I wore. So, I found some muslin and sewed in padding stitches for stability and mobility to be turned over like any lapel or collar.
Perfect. Then, I sewed the collar back onto the jacket and the lining is flat under the collar and yet has enough body for me to adjust, accordingly. Definitely better, but again the truth will be in the wearing.
Now, I’m off to fix the mistake I’ve just found. Ugh…