Well, at this point, this project has been knitted twice. Not by choice, of course, but to eliminate too much shelf time, aka, not be worn. I knit to wear so if there is something about a garment that doesn’t feel right or comfortable, I know its future is doomed. I must say, the fabric that was created by this stitch was the conundrum.
The honeycomb stitch is a type of cable that is dense, especially when using Lion Brand’s fisherman wool . . held double. Not so much dense in weight as the pulled stitches create a kind of air hole behind it. Maybe, you can make this out here, but dense in body.
I have knitted many of Vladimir Teriokhin’s patterns, many, or most of which are an oversized design. Meaning the style is such that the garment is meant to skim over the body or hang loosely. This is a FREE pattern, off the Lion Brand website. You can see the oversized nature of the pattern. I went happily knitting along with my gauge and knitted the pieces as per the schematic thinking nothing of what I was about to see.
Well, how exciting to finish knitting a sweater coat! I sewed the pieces together, wove the ends in, sewed the buttons and label in, bragged to my knitting friends I had finished, and had a photo or two taken. Only then, AFTER seeing the photos, did I realize I had a garment that would never see the light of day. In other words, it was awful. No, you’re not going to see a picture of that. You’re going to wonder . . Had I tried it on? yes, of course. Didn’t I notice the fit issue? no. Didn’t the mirror tell you there was a concern? no.
I have noticed this before that sometimes a photo talks back to me where a mirror does not. I believe it has something to do with distance. In the past I have caught mistakes in my knitted fabric regarding the stitch pattern, have found color mishaps, and with this project, fit issues via photos when I had not caught these mistakes simply by looking directly at the garment or in a mirror. Lesson? I now actually take photos through the knitting process to help me catch these errors.
The issue was the dense fabric and oversized shape was much, much too overwhelming for me. I had to cut way back on the amount of fabric, both in length and width, if I was to keep the honey comb stitch. I could no longer use the pattern I was using as now I wanted a closer fitting design. I pulled a coat I had from my closet that fit the way I wanted this to fit and thought it could work as my pattern. I took the measurements, kept my gauge, and re-figured stitch and row count to establish a plan for the size I now realized I needed. Oh joy . . .
the coat is working for me.
The weather was perfect for this shoot
We were along the Erie Canal
looking over in anticipation of the warmer weather to come.
Here is a picture of the yarn that was taken OUT of coat-attempt-one. Keep in mind these balls of yarn is double yarn, so really I have twice the amount left over, about 3 skeins.
Now, I feel this a successful project and will remember to take into consideration a garment’s fabric in relation to the suitability of the design.